School of Art
The School of Art at Illinois State University provides a professional education for students desiring careers in the visual arts.
Fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, the School of Art offers the B.A. and B.S. degrees in Studio Arts, Graphic Design, Art History, and Art Teacher Education; M.A. in Art History; M.S. in Studio Arts and Art Education; MFA in the Studio Arts.
Our highly accomplished and diverse faculty teach a broad range of courses and represent a broad array of media and disciplines. Courses are taught in well-equipped studios which provide students with the facilities and materials they need to best discover one's own personal vision and expressive potential.
The School of Art's Edge:
- The highly selective BFA program provides our most gifted students the opportunity to mentor closely with a faculty sponsor and to produce a professional solo exhibition prior to graduation.
- The MFA program provides highly motivated and gifted visual artists the opportunity to work intensively toward their development as artists.
- Our Visiting Artists Program provides students with exposure to a wide range of contemporary artists in all disciplines and from all corners of the world. This interaction with successful practicing artists will help you learn how to launch and sustain your art career.
- The University Galleries gives students the opportunity to see a steady stream of the highest quality professional art being made at this time in the region and nationally. University Galleries also offers students the opportunity to exhibit their own work in a professional space and to work with a professional museum/gallery staff of the highest caliber. Your experinece with University Galleries will thoroughly prepare you to interact with professional galleries and museums as you go on to your career as a visual artist.
- Normal Editions Workshop (N.E.W.) produces limited edition lithographic prints for artists from around the world and is one of only a few facilities of its kind housed in an academic unit. Students meet and work with NEW artists and through this interaction gain valuable information about printmaking and knowledge of how these artists have launched and maintained successful careers.
- Design Streak Studio gives graphic design students an opportunity to work directly with real world clients in a professional setting. Clients from inside and outside the university commission graphic design projects from Design Streak. Students who work on these projects acquire experiences that well prepare them for working in professional environments after graduation.
- Art & Culture Collection is an online database resource for the study and teaching of art, design, and art history developed by Milner Library in conjunction with the Visual Resource Collection of the School of Art.
Stories from the School of Art
The College of Fine Arts has been saddened to lose the artistic genius of art alumnus and Hall of Fame member Terry Adkins.
Friends of the Arts grant recipient Percy Echols II, a senior B.F.A. student, attended a class at the Pilchuck Glass School last summer and [...]
Friends of the Arts is seeking submissions for Postcard Art Plus: Creating Inside the Box, the seventh edition of the organization's annual [...]
More Fine Arts News Items