School of Art
The School of Art at Illinois State University provides a professional education for students desiring careers in the visual arts.
Fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, the School of Art offers the B.A. and B.S. degrees in Studio Arts, Graphic Design, Art History, and Art Teacher Education; M.A. in Art History; M.S. in Studio Arts and Art Education; MFA in the Studio Arts.
Our highly accomplished and diverse faculty teach a broad range of courses and represent a broad array of media and disciplines. Courses are taught in well-equipped studios which provide students with the facilities and materials they need to best discover one's own personal vision and expressive potential.
The School of Art's Edge:
- The highly selective BFA program provides our most gifted students the opportunity to mentor closely with a faculty sponsor and to produce a professional solo exhibition prior to graduation.
- The MFA program provides highly motivated and gifted visual artists the opportunity to work intensively toward their development as artists.
- Our Visiting Artists Program provides students with exposure to a wide range of contemporary artists in all disciplines and from all corners of the world. This interaction with successful practicing artists will help you learn how to launch and sustain your art career.
- The University Galleries gives students the opportunity to see a steady stream of the highest quality professional art being made at this time in the region and nationally. University Galleries also offers students the opportunity to exhibit their own work in a professional space and to work with a professional museum/gallery staff of the highest caliber. Your experinece with University Galleries will thoroughly prepare you to interact with professional galleries and museums as you go on to your career as a visual artist.
- Normal Editions Workshop (N.E.W.) produces limited edition lithographic prints for artists from around the world and is one of only a few facilities of its kind housed in an academic unit. Students meet and work with NEW artists and through this interaction gain valuable information about printmaking and knowledge of how these artists have launched and maintained successful careers.
- Design Streak Studio gives graphic design students an opportunity to work directly with real world clients in a professional setting. Clients from inside and outside the university commission graphic design projects from Design Streak. Students who work on these projects acquire experiences that well prepare them for working in professional environments after graduation.
- Art & Culture Collection is an online database resource for the study and teaching of art, design, and art history developed by Milner Library in conjunction with the Visual Resource Collection of the School of Art.
- The School of Art Research Colloquium offers an inclusive platform for faculty and staff engaged in traditional academic research and studio production of all types. Normal yearly programing is organized by the colloquium coordinators based on thematic groupings as faculty/staff interests evolve. This series highlights the wide range of experiences among the School’s studio artists, art educators, graphic designers, and art historians, that helps us produce exceptionally versatile students.
Stories from the School of Art
The College of Fine Arts is thrilled to have several outstanding alumni returning for Homecoming weekend. The following alumni are coming [...]
The College of Fine Arts at Illinois State University offers a wide range of fine arts programs for children and families.
School of Art Professor Claire Lieberman's show "Ice Guns" will open at Hot Wood Arts Center in Brooklyn, New York, this month.
More Fine Arts News Items