Freshman: Arts Technolgy majors with less than 24 hrs are advised in the University College Academic Advisement Center.
Freshman Honors students are advised in the Honors Office.
Once you have surpassed 24 hours, you will then need to schedule future appointments with your departmental advisor in Arts Technology.
To schedule an appointment, please call the Program in Arts Technology at 309.438.3921. We are located in the Center for the Visual Arts, Room 206A.
Advising hours are available by appointment.
Ms. Jody DeCremer, M.S., Assistant Director
Undergraduate Advisor, Arts Technology
Illinois State University
College of Fine Arts,
Campus Box 5600
Normal IL 61790-5600
Phone: (309) 438-3921
Students are responsible for knowing and fulfilling all university, college and major requirements for graduation. In order to meet that goal, they are responsible for:
- Meeting with an Arts Technology department advisor upon entrance to the major
- Reviewing the tracking (degree) audit each semester to ensure the student fully understands the remaining degree requirements
- Seeking advisement when in academic difficulty (e.g., below a 2.5 GPA, doing poorly in a critical tracking course)
- Maintaining their own personal academic records, including the catalog of their year of admission, transcripts, tracking (degree) audits, evaluation of transfer work, and notes from previous advising sessions
- Make an appointment with me PRIOR to your registration date.
An hour before is not considered PRIOR. The best way to set up an appointment is to email me your open times. Do not show up to my office during registration without an appointment asking to be advised.
- Know what courses are being offered!
The courses are posted on iCampus, on the Arts tech site (http://www.cfa.ilstu.edu/arts_tech/undergraduate/) and outside of my office (CVA 206A) on the bulletin board.
- I DO NOT personally handle any of the clearances for any other departments!
- Office Hours
First appointment is at 8:00am - last appointment of the day is 3:15pm
- I am more than happy to send you your Advising and Tracking sheets prior to your appointment.
- Any and all forms associated with the Arts Technology Department (including Independent Study and Internships) can be found on my Advising Forms webpage: http://www.cfa.ilstu.edu/arts_tech/forms/
Independent Studies/Directed Projects
- Independent Studies and Directed Projects are not required! They serve as an elective in Group 5 of “Additional Arts Technology Study”. They can be substituted for the Professional Practice (ATK 398) requirement.
- Contracts for Independent Studies and Directed Projects will be awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- Seniors in their final year of study
- Completed 90% of their ATK courses
- High GPA (highest GPA’s will get first consideration)
- Juniors will only be given a contract after all Seniors contracts have been filled.
- Request for Independent Studies and Directed Projects must come to Jody DeCremer during (fall/spring) advisement sessions. You will not be able to fill holes in your schedule at the last minute by applying for a Independent Studies and Directed Projects.
- You MUST have a description of the project BEFORE you ask a faculty member to supervise your project.
- We will be limiting the number of Independent Studies and Directed Projects that a faculty member may supervise.
- All paperwork must be COMPLETE (project description, faculty supervisors signature) before a clearance will be given.
- Your project description MUST include the following before the faculty supervisor will sign off on the contract:
- Calendar of deadlines
- Schedule of meetings with faculty supervisor
- A statement explaining WHY the project can best be undertaken as a special project instead of a regular course offering.
- Independent Studies and Directed Projects will be considered a “privilege”, only given to the most deserving students.
Why you need a Clearance
Arts Technology classes will ALWAYS have “0” in the “Open Seats” category in iCampus. We do this so that only Arts Technology majors can take the classes. For that reason you will need a “Clearance” so that you can register for the course.
The degree requirements for the program included here. Four year plans of study for each track are also here. These plans of study should be followed in consultation with the Arts Technology Department Academic Advisor.
Academic Advising at Illinois State University is an integral part of the educational process. Working in partnership with advisors, students learn about academic policies, procedures, and university resources to develop strategies to pursue their individual educational goals.
Illinois State advisors
- provide an encouraging and supportive environment for students to share their goals, concerns, and interests.
- understand and effectively communicate Illinois State degree requirements.
- assist students in making informed course decisions and finding majors.refer students to appropriate resources, maintain confidentiality of student records as outlined in the University Catalog.
- uphold the values, policies, and procedures of their schools, departments, and Illinois State University.
Illinois State students
- schedule regular and timely appointments with their advisors.
- regularly review their academic progress and assume responsibility for meeting academic requirements.
- craft coherent educational plans based on assessment of abilities, aspirations, interests, and values.
- read both print and electronic university communication and respond when required.
- assume responsibility for all decisions and actions which may impact academic and career options.