Admissions and Auditions
All prospective music majors and minors must perform a classical music audition for entrance consideration. Auditions occur six to nine months in advance of the semester you wish to enter. Students should have significant classical training on a primary instrument or voice prior to auditioning.
Undergraduate Music Major and Minor Admissions
To schedule an audition, please complete the following procedures.
- Submit University Admission Application
- Attend the audition date you reserved on the University Admission Application
- Submit School of Music Recommendation
- Transfer students currently enrolled in a NASM accredited college or university must complete a Transfer Acknowledgement Form
- Transfer students who have completed college music theory and/or aural skills coursework must complete the music theory placement exam one week prior to the start of your first semester at Illinois State. A study guide is available for your convenience. If you need more information, contact ,
Theory Area Coordinator.
- Advanced Placement credit is awarded to students who have taken the Music Theory exam and received subscores of 4 or 5 on both the written and aural sections. For more information, contact your high school music teacher or counselor.
For more information regarding undergraduate music information contact:
Assistant Dean for Enrollment and Student Sercies in the College of Fine Arts at (309) 438-3566.
Undergraduate Campus Visits
We encourage all undergraduate students to make an on-campus visit. Visit the Office of Admissions to make your reservation for an open house or campus information session. Furthermore, you may wish to observe an ensemble rehearsal or visit with one of the applied professors of music. If you would like to add this to your visit, contact
Assistant Dean for Enrollment and Student Services for the College of Fine Arts at (309) 438-3566.
Prospective graduate students may apply online by visiting the Office of Admissions.
For details on the specific entrance requirements for each graduate program, please visit the page of the program which you are interested in. Details are listed there.
For more information concerning the application process, auditions, and requirements click on the School of Music Graduate Requirements document or contact
Graduate Coordinator for the School of Music or (309) 438-8960.