Why Theatre Studies?
If one of the following is true about you, then the Theatre Studies sequence at Illinois State University might be perfect for you.
- You know you love Theatre but you aren’t sure that you want to specialize in Acting or in Design and Production.
- You’re interested in directing, arts management, playwriting, cinema, or the history and literature of Theatre.
- You want the flexibility to take courses in a number of different areas in Theatre.
- You think you might want to start your own theater someday and know that you’ll need not only a background in acting or design, but also in arts management, dramaturgy, and other areas.
- You think you might want to go to graduate school someday.
What is Theatre Studies?
The Theatre Studies sequence offers students a wide range of study in Theatre: acting, directing, playwriting, design, introduction to film, technology, management, and theatre history. Each student in the sequence also selects a three-course concentration from one of the following areas:
- Cinema Studies
- Creative Drama
- Integrated Performance
- Theatre Management
Click here to see the Four-Year Plan of Study in Theatre Studies (pdf).
Where can I get more information?
For more information about the Theatre Studies sequence, including a complete list of required courses and electives, please see the Undergraduate Catalog.
How do I apply to the Theatre Studies sequence?
First, you need to apply to Illinois State University. On your application declare a Theatre major with Theatre Studies as your sequence.
If you are interested in applying for a School of Theatre and Dance scholarship in Theatre Studies, you will need to participate in the School’s interview process. (This is a separate process from applying for University scholarships.) You may set up your Theatre Studies scholarship interview date when you fill out your ISU admission application.
Upcoming audition, portfolio review and interview dates are:
- Saturday, January 26, 2013 (at Chicago Academy for the Arts; no Dance audition)
- Saturday, February 23, 2013
- Friday, April 5, 2013 (not for scholarship consideration)
For more information on what you should submit prior to your interview and for information about scheduling an interview, please visit Admission & Auditions.