Why Theatre Studies?
If one of the following is true about you, then the Theatre Studies sequence at Illinois State University might be perfect for you.
- You know you love Theatre but you aren’t sure that you want to specialize in Acting or in Design and Production.
- You’re interested in directing, arts management, playwriting, cinema, or the history and literature of Theatre.
- You want the flexibility to take courses in a number of different areas in Theatre.
- You think you might want to start your own theater someday and know that you’ll need not only a background in acting or design, but also in arts management, dramaturgy, and other areas.
- You think you might want to go to graduate school someday.
What is Theatre Studies?
The Theatre Studies sequence offers students a wide range of study in Theatre: acting, directing, playwriting, design, introduction to film, technology, management, and theatre history. Each student in the sequence also selects a three-course concentration from one of the following areas:
- Cinema Studies
- Creative Drama
- Integrated Performance
- Theatre Management
Click here to see the Four-Year Plan of Study in Theatre Studies (pdf).
Where can I get more information?
For more information about the Theatre Studies sequence, including a complete list of required courses and electives, please see the Undergraduate Catalog.
How do I apply to the Theatre Studies sequence?
First, you need to apply to Illinois State University. On your application declare a Theatre major with Theatre Studies as your sequence.
If you are interested in applying for a School of Theatre and Dance scholarship in Theatre Studies, you will need to participate in the School’s interview process. (This is a separate process from applying for University scholarships.) You may set up your Theatre Studies scholarship interview date when you fill out your ISU admission application.
Upcoming interview dates are:
- Saturday, September 26, 2015, 10:00 a.m. (ISU)
- Monday, November 9, 2015, 2:00 p.m. (also an ISU Open House day)
- Saturday, January 23, 2016, time TBA (LookingglassTheatre, 821 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago)
- Saturday, February 13, 2016, 10:00 a.m. (ISU)
For more information on what you should submit prior to your interview and for information about scheduling an interview, please visit Admission & Auditions.