Concert, athletic and jazz bands are open to any Illinois State student wishing to participate. You do not have to be a music major to perform, though some require an audition.
Performances of the Illinois State University bands are open to the Illinois State University community and the public. Tickets are available at the Center for Performing Arts (CPA) Box Office or football tickets are available at GoRedbirds.com.
These ensembles do not require an audition. Everyone is welcome! Participating students will be given parts based on skill level.
Auditions are required for Percussion, Colorguard, Dance Team, Twirlers. Details can be found here.
Information on how to join Jazz Ensembles can be found on the Jazz Bands homepage.
Students auditioning for Brass, Wind and Percussion spots will be considered for all major ensembles: Wind Symphony, Symphonic Winds, Symphonic Band, and Symphony Orchestra. Students who would like to be considered for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Symphony must prepare all of the audition excerpts provided. All students regardless of major are welcome to audition for all major ensembles.
Students who are music majors are REQUIRED to prepare all audition excerpts for full ensemble consideration.
Symphony Orchestra: T/Th; 4:00-5:50PM (3 concerts); MUS182A02/282A02/482A02
Wind Symphony: M/W/F; 12:00-1:50PM (3 concerts); MUS181A05/281A05/481A05
Symphonic Winds: T/Th; 4:00-5:50PM (2 concerts); MUS181A06/281A06/481A06
Symphonic Band: T/Th; 4:00-5:50PM (2 concerts); MUS181A07/281A07/481A07
University Band: W; 7:00-9:20PM (2 concerts); MUS181A03/281A03/481A03
Alternately, students who are not music majors looking for a slightly lighter time commitment may prepare the two indicated excerpts for consideration for Symphonic Winds/Symphony Band/University Band. These excerpts will be indicated on the audition music.
Students who wish to perform only in the University Band, should register for the course as auditions are not required for participation in that ensemble. Further instructions will be emailed to all those enrolled in the course.
Before You Audition
1. Download and prepare the Audition Music which will be available NO LATER THAN July 15. Audition music will be available here.
2. Register for the ensemble that you believe is your most likely ensemble placement. Should you be placed in a different ensemble, you can change this later. Symphonic Winds and Symphonic Band meet at the same time, so these are easy switches. If you are unsure of what class in which to enroll, you can contact your academic advisor, Prof. Marinello, and/or the applied faculty member for guidance.
3. Complete the following online survey by Monday, August 14 in order to audition for any of the ensembles listed above.
4. Sign-up sheets will be posted outside the Band Office (Centennial East 221) on Monday, August 14. Students may sign up for an audition slot at that time.
5. If you are planning to participate only in University Band, you do not need to partake in an audition. Simply complete the survey and enroll in the course.
Auditions will be held in Centennial East Kemp Recital Hall or Cook Hall 103 (percussion).
Thursday, August 17
Oboe 9:00 A.M.–10:00 A.M. (Prof. Judith Dicker)
Bassoon 10:00 A.M.–11:00 A.M. (Prof. Michael Dicker)
Trumpet 12:00 P.M.–2:00 P.M. (Dr. Amy Gilreath)
Horn 2:00 P.M.–4:00 P.M. (Dr. Lauren Hunt)
Clarinet 4:00 P.M.–6:00 P.M. (Dr. David Gresham)
Trombone 7:00 P.M.–9:00 P.M. (Dr. Mark Babbitt)
Saturday, August 19
Sunday, August 20
Saxophone 10:00 A.M.–12:00 P.M. (Dr. Paul Nolen)